6.24.2007

Chimay Blue

So tonight, I tasted the Chimay Blue. This 33cl bottle cost me $3.99 at the Cask'n'Keg. It packs a 9%ABV punch, and is, of course, bottle conditioned.

Sorry - no guest tasters or smellers tonight.

As you can see from the photo, this is a dark red/brown color, with a big head that settles quickly to a medium head (pictured).

This beer had a simple smell. It just smelled malty sweet and watery. I was surprised, and expected more complex aromas. It did have a big fuzzy mouthfeel and plenty of carbonation, despite the not-so-big head. Alcohol was immediately apparent and warming in the chest. Aaahhhhhhh... feels good. This beer was not too sweet, considering its dark color, which was good. As it warmed up, more roasted malt flavor and complexity did emerge, but I was halfway through a 9%ABV beer, so my analasys skills were muted somewhat. The hops were, again, moderate. Sure they were there, and I could taste them. It was somewhere between Wheat Beer and IPA (as if that helps at all). As it warmed up, it also developed more of a molasses, even almost chocolate smell to it.

Overall, this was pretty good. I would definitely drink it again, but it is a bit pricey. Maybe I should make it! My only regret is that I don't have a proper Chimay glass.

No comments: